Monday, June 17, 2013

Oven Baked Crispy Onion Rings

Sadly, despite really wanting this recipe to be a winner, I can only give it a "meh."  Tim had the idea to make burgers the other night* and I decided that onion rings would go quite well with the burgers.  I remembered seeing this recipe on one of the blogs I follow, Closet Kitchen, so I dialed it up.

While the onion rings did get quite crispy from panko bread crumbs and hot oven temperature, there really is no substitute for deep-frying when it comes to onion rings.... onion rings should be crispy AND a bit oily from the fryer. Oh well.  A for effort.


Made me crave some really onion rings, though.  In particular, the ones served at the unfortunately named but awesome temple of fried stuff, Kream 'N Kone on Cape Cod.  Mmmm... fried stuff...


* Tim's burgers were quite good: cheddar and bacon with sauteed mushrooms and onions, all topped with a creamy chipotle BBQ sauce (BBQ sauce + chipotle in adobo + mayo).  And, when he was buying the meat at a small Japanese grocery store near his office, he spotted an Indonesian celebrity: Farrah Quinn, the self-proclaimed "sexy chef."  I actually like to watch her cooking show because, although the food is not particularly appealing, she alternates between speaking Indonesian and English, sometimes repeating statements in both languages, which helps me with my Bahasa Indonesia.  I understand other people may have a different reason(s) to watch her show.