Sunday, May 8, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Tartlets

One of Tim's all-time favorites is strawberry-rhubarb pie. Luckily it's easy to come by these ingredients at the CSA in the spring. Armed with super ripe berries and tart rhubarb, I decided to use a recipe for lattice-topped mini-tarts that I found in Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts cookbook (snagged, along with her cookie book, for a cheap price at TJ Maxx on Friday). I tweaked the recipe a little bit to my taste, as described below, and they came out great! Not too sweet, super buttery crust.

Here's how I adapted the filling:

  • 2 cups strawberries, cut into tiny dice
  • 3 stalks rhubarb, cut into tiny dice (about 1.5 cups)
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 TBS orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
  • 3/4 cup sugar